AVID for Higher Education Career and Technical Education
AHE’s Student Success Initiative supports Career and Technical Education (CTE) by infusing AVID strategies into CTE programs. AVID’s WICOR
strategies help students develop skills employers require for workplace success.
Many CTE educators come directly from the workforce with little or no training in teaching, learning, and assessment strategies. AVID’s WICOR
framework instills in students the same set of skills and habits employers document as essential for successful employment, including critical thinking, adaptability, problem solving, oral and written communications, collaboration, and teamwork. Infusing WICOR
into CTE program curricula helps to ensure students develop these skills as they learn the content—both theory and application—within their chosen program, applying academic knowledge to authentic situations. This integration results in graduates who develop a deeper understanding of their profession (all aspects of a specific industry) through the following:
- Reading and understanding technical terminology, including manuals
- Writing required communications that are easily understood by the intended audience
- Listening carefully and speaking clearly, using language appropriate for the audience
- Efficiently organizing time, tasks, and information
- Solving complex problems by organizing information, questioning, seeking creative answers, and suggesting solutions
- Working effectively with supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates
- Collaborating on projects and participating in work teams
AHE specializes in facilitating faculty development and professional learning, and has the capacity and expertise to train CTE program educators to integrate WICOR
-based teaching/learning strategies into program curricula, classroom activities, and internships.
For additional information about AVID for Higher Education Career and Technical Education Initiative, please contact [email protected].