BRING REAL-WORLD CULTIVATED CONTENT INTO YOUR CLASSROOM
AVID Elementary Weekly is intended for teaching critical reading as a subject or to assist with teaching students critical reading techniques with current newspaper articles, photos, and infographics.
New articles and sample lessons are available to subscribers through the AVID eLearning platform on MyAVID.org on the first day of each month from September through June. All previous months’ materials from the current school year are archived and are accessible (along with the current month’s materials) 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
All active AVID Elementary sites receive an entire academic year subscription to AVID Elementary Weekly included in AVID Elementary site membership fees.
Current and Engaging Content
- AVID Elementary Weekly articles are selected each month to cover three levels of difficulty: Emerging (Foundations K–2), Expanding (Foundations 3–6), and Bridging (Bridges 6–8). They are chosen to encompass a broad range of content areas, which are identified on the monthly matrix.
- Instruction is based on Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading (WICOR®) with a special emphasis on Activity Ideas and AVID Critical Reading strategies.
- Each WICORized lesson incorporates strategies from all components of WICOR. These lessons are designed with an emphasis on one of the five components. The emphasis will be clearly labeled on the monthly lessons matrix (e.g., WICOR-Reading).
“AVID Weekly is a great tool for building all reading skills, and it is a great resource for teachers as well.” – AVID Educator
Existing subscribers access AVID Elementary Weekly by following the steps below:
- Log in to MyAVID.
- Click the blue My eLearning button.
- You should see a “tile” for AVID Elementary Weekly. Click the tile to enter.
- Explore AVID Elementary Weekly.